[ Models | Lore | Sources | Inspiration ]
This is not my own work, but rather a fan theory that I read on the TV Tropes website. I've included it here simply to highlight its brilliance. Whilst it's obviously not a correspondence that was designed into the Warhammer 40,000 setting (particularly given that various army lists have come and gone over time), this categorisation fits beautifully:
The primary factions represent the Seven Deadly Sins...
- Imperium: 40,000 years of stagnation and lack of innovation, and turning its back to new ideas in exchange for worshipping a dead god and throwing countless lives for nothing (Sloth).
- Eldar are Lust. They birthed the sex god Slaanesh after all.
- Orks are Wrath. They want to slaughter every other species, but when there are no others to fight, they immediately riot between each other in brutal combat.
- Chaos is Greed. They want to corrupt everything. Most Chaos followers are often driven by a selfish desire to acquire more Power.
- The all-devouring Tyranids are Gluttony.
- The Necrons are Envy. Remember the backstory: the reason why the Necrontyr became the way they are was because they Envied the Great Old Ones and their Immortality. That was the reason why they forged the contract with the C'tan to become Immortal Robotic entities.
- And finally, the Tau are Pride. Sure, they have the innovation tradition that the slothful Imperium lacks, but then again, they were confident that they had the best philosophy to apply to the universe, and if anybody refused to accept the Greater Good, they committed orbital bombardment and mass brainwashing, just to make them believe that they were right. Other wiser races, such as the Imperium and Eldar, often engage in deconstructing the Tau's naive philosophy in the context of the reality of the 41st Millennium.
This quoted text, primarily authored by "memememememe", is available from TV Tropes under their Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported licence.
|Warhammer Setting||The Dark Tongue; Daemonic Names; Lexicon; Short Stories; Cut-ups; Cool Stuff|
|Painted Models||Golden Demon|
|Speculation||Chaos God Correspondence; Dark Heresy Backgrounds; Sevenfold Path; Seven Deadly Sins|
|Real World References||Nergal in Mesopotamian History; Symbolism of Three Circles; Symbolism of Seven|